The e-spool spring cable drums from igus ensure that portable machines and systems are supplied with energy, data, compressed air and liquids safely, even under the most difficult conditions in the smallest of spaces. Compared to the classic cable drum, the e-spool is the only solution that can not only carry energy, but also all media such as data, compressed air and liquids. Examples: e-spool in the event hall, in automated high-bay warehouses, in cable robots, in stage technology or in steel works.
All igus e-spool spring cable drums consist of an energy chain that is guided by a roller and ensures that the energy supply system is exactly at the right length and tension at all times thanks to an integrated retaining spring. And a twisterband is responsible for the turning movements. This special structure makes movements in every direction possible. By using the twisterband, the e-spool does not require a slip ring. This makes data transmission highly reliable, while enabling a high degree of stability at the same time. Furthermore, the e-spool can be guided in all directions (horizontally, vertically, diagonally) and saves space, since the energy chain is rolled up in the starting position and the paths remain free.
When many different cables should be routed in very confined spaces. Different media (power, air and fluids) can be routed together in one system.
In view of the special mechanical stress inside an e-spool, we recommend using igus chainflex cables. We also recommend that the following guidelines are observed:
Interruption-free panel feed. The alternative to the cable reel.
Extension length: 5-15m
Pulling out a cable by hand
Travel length: 5m | Drum: 300mm | Cable length 3.3-8.3m
Variable use, with higher retraction force
Travel length: 4-14m | Drum: 600-850mm | Cable length 8.6-19.9m
The e-spool spring cable drums ensure uninterrupted supply of energy, data, air and liquids in the convention and cultural centre in Torun. A total of ten HD e-spool systems have been installed.
The e-spool spring cable drum is used in a telescopic wind machine. The wind machine prevents frost from destroying buds and young shoots in fruit plantations.
Due to the special mechanical stress in an e-spool, we recommend using our chainflex cables. Additionally, we recommend observing the following filling rules:
1. Cables may only be laid next to each other in the linear chain - never lay several cables on top of each other!
2. With unshielded cables, chainflex cables with TPE outer jacket should be used wherever possible.
3. Shielded cables should come from the chainflex cable family CFROBOT family.
4. The maximum bend radii of the twisterband used must be observed.
5. If possible, use separators to protect cables against overlapping and abrasion. To make the best possible use of the interior space, install the separator in alternate segments.
6. Lay cables according to diameter or insert bend radius - thin small ones inwards and larger ones outwards.
7. Apply strain relief to both ends of the cable. The cable tie knot must not be fitted in the direction of the chain.
8. The cables should be installed in the twisterband with clearance space both outwards and inwards from the rotary axis.
Installation instructionsIn the case of a horizontally moving application, a smooth surface must be provided on which the energy chain can travel.
Please contact us if you have one of the following application parameters: